"A chanel a day keeps the doctor away."- Rachel Zoe

Monday, September 13, 2010

Too High of Expectations for the VMAs

I would first off like to dedicate this post to my friend Michael, my favorite award season junky. We always conference about the dresses the Monday after, so here we go. Last night's MTV Video Music Awards were a bit of a letdown when it came to the dresses. As you could assume, I get way overly excited for all big red carpet events such as the Grammys, the Emmys, and especially, the Oscars. I know that the VMAs are more fun than glam, but I was still a little disappointed in the dresses. I was unimpressed by Katy Perry's ice skater dress, although having nails with her hubby's face on them was surprisingly cute. Kesha's dress was... creative at least, considering she made it herself out of garbage bags. Then there were Even Rachel Wood and Miranda Cosgrove whose choices just fell short of red carpet worthy. There were a few women however, who could not have picked more amazing dresses.

Lady Gaga looked like a work of art in a dress by, without a doubt, one of the greatest designers of our time. She wore a dress from Alexander McQueen's last collection before his death this past February. His clothes were beyond art, and I love her all the more for taking this night as a chance to wear a gown from his final collection. She also wore the McQueen shoes I have been dreaming of for many, many months: his armadillo heels.

Ciara's Givenchy dress was another beauty last night. For some reason, people say that a feathered dress at an event like this is fashion suicide, but really, could anyone argue with how stunning this dress is? Then you add in platform wedges and it's a done deal.
I also loved Selena Gomez's silver Reem Acra dress. It was a very unexpected choice for her and I loved the blue embeleshments at the top. It's nothing outrageous, but something about it really got my attention.
Now if anyone could remind me who Roxy Olin is that would be great because although I don't recognize the name, I don't think I will be able to forget this ensamble for a very long time. Seriously, I could not be more in love with this outfit! It's such a wild choice and I could only dream of being able to pull something like this off the way she does.

Those were, hands down, my four favorites of the night. Do you agree? Did I miss any fabulous dresses?



1 comment:

  1. I.LOVE.YOU.
    I agree! I'm not a huge fan of Ciara's gown though. The feathers just didn't work for me. I also loved Audrina Patridge's dress. It was fresh and bright, and I think it almost lit up the carpet. Also, J WOWW (from Jersey Shore) looked surprisingly good. I loved her new haircut and her off the shoulder dress. Of course, it wasn't exactly coture, but it definitely looked fantastic.

    ReplyDelete